Monday, October 27, 2008

Bamboo Room, Haines AK



When I was working in Juneau we spent about six weeks in Haines surveying the road out of town. We would always eat at the Bamboo Room for breakfast.

The reason they call it the Bamboo Room is because there is a bar and the dining room in the same building. Back in the day they were separated by a bamboo curtain. Its the local hangout for old guys who drink coffee in the morning.

One morning I over heard the oldest one talking about Timothy Treadwell, the guy famous for being eaten by a bear. He said "I met that Treadwell guy once. I said your an F'n idiot! One of these days you're going to get eaten by those damn bears! And look what happened."

I had to stop on my way through after Dawson for old times sake. It turned out that my friend Bar Tender Judy was working that day. Since there was a big bike race in town that weekend I gave up my seat in the dinning room for some kids that were under 21 and ate in the bar. The pancakes were still as good as I remember

No comments: