Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Cacophony

Calgary, Alberta
The loudest Wendy's I've ever been in



So there I was. Thinking I was a day behind because of my front tire worries, tired as all get out, and upset with Calgary traffic. I pulled off into a mall where there was a Wendy's with the thought that a little food would calm me down and pick up my spirits.

Tired and hungry I levered the GS onto the center stand and moseyed on into the restaurant, ordered my lunch, and sat down.

Maybe it was because I was dehydrated. Maybe it was because this was my 4th day on the road with nothing but my thoughts and my poor singing to keep me company inside my helmet mile after mile. No matter what the reason I found myself in a melting pot of very loud people. People of all nationalities, religions, and degrees of passion. One group of older middle eastern men vigorously debated politics while behind me college students discussed religion, and to my right teenagers, being the way teenagers will be, acting very obnoxious. One thing all these different people had in common was that they were loud.

It was too overwhelming. I finished my meal and escaped to the parking lot where I discovered the motorcycles key had been misplaced. Back into the restaurant, looking around my table and in the bathroom, I finally found it sitting on the counter by the register.

I thought about Anchorage, by far the biggest city I have ever lived in. Was Anchorage loud and overwhelming like Calgary? I didn't think so but maybe its because I was used to it. Anchorage was overwhelming at first. I had a permanent "Surprise Face" the first two weeks in town terrified I would not be able to find my way to work in the morning.

Maybe its all the same. Maybe its all different. I just know I'll be driving AROUND Calgary in the future. The traffic was horrible.

No comments: