Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Not the Dalton

Valdez Creek Trail about 5 miles off the Denali Hwy


Well, BeamerTwin and I did not make it to Prudhoe Bay this weekend. I had some fuel problems with the KLR just before Fairbanks and they didn't clear up by the time we got a good distance out of town. So we decided it would be better to change our plans then rick breaking down up there and having to beg someone with a pickup to take my bike back to Fairbanks.

While it is a bummer we didn't make it to our planned destination we did make a trip across the Denali Hwy where we found that someone had repaired some of the creek crossings on a trail off the road. This picture is about five miles up the 25 mile trail. If you look close you can see our bikes center left in the photo. That is the Susitna River in the back ground.

This trail goes another 20 miles back to a lake that is supposed to have some great fishing. I'm assuming trout and grayling. But I also hear its prime grizzly country.

Maybe sometime this summer I'll ride back up there, make camp at the bottom of the trail, and ride up for a day of fishing.

No comments: