Monday, January 28, 2008

The Biggest Caribou I've ever seen!


I was cruising up the Taylor Highway on my way to Dawson City. Just South of Chicken I could see a large spherical antenna on one of the large hilltops ahead with a road or trail snaking its way to the top. I figured what the heck, I'm on a vacation lets see whats up there.

I kept going until I saw a big orange sign that said "Trail Closed, Construction Zone". But the barriers were down. To me that was a sign to run up the trail until I ran into equipment then turn around real quick and play dumb is questioned.

Up I went, rolling over some small hills, winding my way to the top. There were a couple of short steep sections but nothing the KLR and some momentum couldn't handle. I passed a D-10 dozer and a large Loader with a Four Wheeler parked next to it. There were a couple cuts through the rock were I could tell they had be blasting. Other than that there was no sign of activity.

I finally got up above the tree line and came around a tight switchback. Straight ahead of me I saw a HUGE Caribou. My hand immediately went for the camera and it had just turned it on when the animal looked at me, lowered its antlers, and pawed at the ground. I swear I saw it snort and dust curled up around its head.

Realizing I was not going to win, even if I was wearing a helmet, I worked at turning the loaded bike around without dropping it or my camera. As soon as I was pointing in the other direction I gave 'er the gas to a safer distance where I turned around and snapped the picture above. Its kind of hard to see in the original but the close up below might help.

The Caribou is in the bottom right corner. Its easy to see its white tail as its "High Tailing" it out of there.


Just around that corner was the top of the hill, but I decided I had gone far enough. The view, where I ended up, was pretty good anyway.


Amazingly enough, about half way down, I ran into another Caribou. Having some speed this time I locked up both brakes and ended up about 100 feet from the beast wondering what I was going to do. This one decided to rear up on its hind legs and jump off into the woods. Everything happened to fast for a picture, which is probably for the best.

I'll be back this year on my way to the "Dust to Dawson" rally. This time I'll make it to the top. Caribou or not

No comments: