Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Whittier Tunnel

Entrance to the Whittier Tunnel

In the background is the Whittier side entrance to the tunnel that connects the town to the rest of the world. The peaked roof is to protect it from avalanches, which I hear can block the entrance and prevent people from leaving.

This was my second weekend with the bike. When I found out the weather was nice in Whittier I had to go. It might be a long time before the sun shines there again.

The tunnel is the longest combined vehicle/rail tunnel in North America and is only one lane wide. Because the train is big, the rails go smack down the middle of the lane. For people on motorcycles, this presents an opportunity for a very exciting experience.

There you are, riding through a tunnel. Normally staying within the width of the tracks wouldn't be a problem, but when they are there the mind plays dirty tricks on you. Fear creeps in as it becomes more difficult to stay steady. Slowing down makes the instability worse. Just keep looking forward and don't focus on the rails below.

I don't need to say,that if you hit one of the rails your likely to crash. But look on the bright side. If you do crash, you can tell people you crashed under a mountain! How many people can say that.

Luckily, I cannot boast such a feat.

Feel free to look at the rest of my Whittier Pictures at my SmugMug :D

If you see a picture you want to know more about leave a comment with a link and I'll tell the story.

Thanks for reading.


No comments: