Monday, May 11, 2009

Packing

When is enough enough?

The big trip is quickly approaching. I leave Friday night for Michigan to pick up the GS and ride back to Alaska.

On the table is what I've decided to bring so far, minus clothes and riding gear. My tent, sleeping pad, and sleeping bag are in the back. You can also see the license plate, several pair of gloves, assorted tools, some toiletries, and other random stuff. I think I could fit most of it in my tank bag which is good. But, and I know I shouldn't start a sentence with "but", I don't want too much stuff.

Mostly because any extra weight will lower fuel millage and shorten tire life. But also because I have to get all of it on an airplane. Extra baggage fees are expensive!!!

6 comments:

Mike Stavlund said...

there had better be some kind of device for posting to your blog during that trip, my man. do not leave your faithful fans in the lurch while you enjoy the adventure of a lifetime-- do not hoard it!

this is gonna be epic. I'm so jealous.

Brian D. said...

We'll see if I can hit up a cyber cafe' or public library or two along the way.

Do not worry. I'm stocked up on memory cards for the camera and my shutter button finger has been working out. There will be lots of pictures by the end of the ride.

Jen said...

I read something a few weeks ago that says it's ok to start a sentence with "but." So you're a-ok :-)

Have a safe trip!

Shawn said...

Have a fun trip! Be safe!

JimR said...

Please remember Pete and Pete's dad's rules for a successful voyage

1) "good packing" - Roof stacking does not seem to apply in this situation (you seem to have this down).

2) Make good time and

3) don't ask directions.

Have fun!! My dad would say "don't let anyone pass you!"

Aimee said...

yes, you can start a sentence with a conjunction. ;-)

Hope you didn't forget anything! =-O