Monday, April 28, 2008

Cold Hands

A bridge between Anchorage and Fairbanks.


I swung through Fairbanks and stayed the night on the way back from Dawson City. When I woke up that Monday morning the wind was blowing, the rain was pouring, and I had to get back so I could go to work the next day :-P

On my way out of town I was blown all over my lane by the wind as I climbed into the mountain pass. What is really deceptive is that the climb is so gradual you don't realize your gaining about 1500 feet in altitude. It got cold too!

My hands were really cold so I decided to stop at a lodge for some coffee and food. After a gallon of java and a bacon cheese burger I headed to the Healy grocery store (double wide trailer) to find some water proof gloves.

I found some cotton gardening gloves, and the largest dish washing gloves they had. Stuffing the cotton gloves in the rubber ones gave me a insulated waterproof solution. I'm a Engineer, a problem solver, problem solved.

About a hundred miles later I was getting gas at the beginning of the Talkeetna spur road and an old timer started making fun of my gloves. I figured he wouldn't be impressed about me being a problem solver and all that so I kinda shrugged it off.

I guess the moral of the story is to get water proof gloves. Unless you want people you don't know making fun of you, which can be fun too.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Great job problem solving:) The older I get, the less I worry about what people think. I like warm hands, warm feet, just being warm:):) Ask Jen - I've worn a raincoat on a sunny day when I didn't have enough clothes to keep warm. I keep extra "stuff" in my car for work and extra "stuff" in my truck too.

Unknown said...

Brian you're awesome!!!

I agree with Tom, being warm is key. I definitely borrowed a pair of pants from a guy I didn't know 'cause it got so cold on our ride one morning.

Kudos on being an engineer!

Brian D. said...

Yeah,
I usually don't pay to much attention to other people like that either. It was pretty funny though, I'm surprised that he actually noticed.

I would have chuckled at myself too. People must have thought I had a dish emergency to get to!