Sunday, April 20, 2008

Hatcher Pass

On the Paved Road to Independence mine, the lower portion of Hatcher Pass.


It was a beautiful weekend in Anchorage, maybe even most of Alaska. I heard it got 58 in Fairbanks. While the mercury didn't get that high today it was still a amazing chance for a ride.

Alaska Leather helped me find a great pair of riding pants last week, and I'm glad they did. They kept my legs nice and warm the whole time, even at 70mph on the Highway. I actually saw Barb on the other side of the stop light right down the street from my apartment. She's probably wondering who was the dope on the KLR waving at her.

Good views of the mountains, Bald Eagles everywhere, and a bee in my helmet are all signs that spring is here. The dry twisty road to the Independence Mine state park was clear and mostly sand free. It was nice to get'r leaned over again and feel my butt planted in the seat as I rolled on the throttle.

This picture was taken on the way back down. You can make out what I think are the Chugatch Mountains in the way back ground. Even though the road is pretty short the views are amazing on a clear day. I'm looking forward to many more quick trips after work or in the mornings on weekends this summer.

P.S.
You can find the "complete" ride report on advrider.com here "Hatcher Pass, Alaska"

I'll be posting ride reports like this from now on. Maybe a short synopsis when I get back with a link to the complete report on Adventure Rider. I find that the Blog format isn't very easy to read as you go and the Forum is a lot more conducive to that format.


No comments: