Friday, April 25, 2008

Ride to Nowhere

A fellow ADVRider advertised a BMW R65 for sale up in The Valley. The price was right, and it was a nice bike so I decided to go take a look. Unfortunately the bike wasn't what I was looking for, but I did get a nice ride in.

As things turned out the train was leaving town the same time I was. For a while I was able to keep up with it as it followed a road next to the Highway, but I wasn't able to get ahead of it for a nice picture. Then along the Hwy I was able to stop and snap a few as it was crossing the bridges over the Knik River.





The Alaska Railroad definitely has the nicest looking engines I've seen. I have plans for a couple Railroad adventures this summer, including a rafting trip out of Talkeenta. They also still do a flag stop train (they still stop for you along the line to either pick you up or drop you off) I think it would be a lot of fun to hop off the train, camp the night, then get back on the next day.

NOTE: If you would like to see larger versions of this image, just click on the pictures and they should open in another window. I've also started a new folder on my Smugmug for RR pics, ( AK Railroad ).

No comments: