Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Bob and Angie


Bob and Angie of SmellyBiker.com in front of Fast Eddies in Tok, Alaska

I was in Glennallenn, headed towards Tok, and figured that it would be a good idea to find a lodge somewhere between the two to get dinner, a beer, and a place to camp. So I ask the kid at the gas station if there were any lodges up the road.

He replied, "I don't know, never been up that way."
me: "Oh! You must be new to Alaska too?"
him: "Nope, I go to Community College here"
me: "huh"

(just a little disclaimer here. I am not knocking Community Colleges. In fact I went to a community college and got a great education there.) Where was I? oh yeah, anyway.

I was outside trying to decide if I should stay or go when someone who had overheard my conversation and suggested the Log Cabin as a good place to eat in town. It sounded pretty good to me so off I went.

When I got there three BMW's were parked out front. I sat near the riders table inside, and we ended up leaving at the same time. I was going to ask the cashier where a good camping spot was but this two of the riders beat me to it. We got to talking and decided to find a camping spot and then ride to Tok the next day.

We found a nice campground along the river and I got to know Bob and Angie a little. They told me about their travels from South America to Prudoe Bay, and that they were on their way back to Peru. They had been on that bike, and camping out day after day for THREE YEARS!!! Can you imagine that. They actually wore tents out. I think that is amazing.

The next day we rode to Tok and had Lunch at Fast Eddie's (I think its the law when in town).
I took the picture after lunch and we soon parted ways. I headed off to Dawson, which is where they were going the next day, and we were supposed to meet up. But for some reason or another it didn't happen which was unfortunate.

The best part of riding last summer was all the great, interesting, and cool people that I got to meet and talk to. Bob and Angie are at the top of the list and I wish them safe travels on their future adventures.

Take a look at www.smellybiker.com for more information about their ride.



No comments: