Saturday, February 16, 2008

McCarthy, AK


Foot Bridge to McCarthy, AK

When the 60 mile McCarthy road ends, you'll find a river with a very narrow bridge crossing it. Its so narrow that you can't drive a car over, and maybe even some four wheelers. Seems like they are making them pretty big these days.

There are carts so you can roll your luggage to a waiting van on the other side incase you want to spend the night or just take a tour of the Kennicott Mine north-ish of town. However, if you happen to ride a motorcycle it is possible to take it to the other side.

Since there was what seemed to be a lot of foot traffic I waited for a break and pushed the KLR across. Half way across I realized I was holding up some people with bicycles. Its a good thing they weren't in a hurry because it seemed I was hogging the road.

Once on the other side the helmet went back on, the KLR started right up, and I was on my way.

No comments: