Saturday, February 23, 2008

Valdez/McCarthy (Part 4)

Not to far from Thompson Pass is the Worthington Glacier. Probably the most accessible glacier in Alaska. I was pretty excited to see how close it was to the visitors center. When I met some people on their way to the parking lot they told me it was pretty easy to walk right up to it.


Getting closer. You need to jump the fence here, or walk around the end, and cross a shallow stream to get next to this large ice cube.


So what do you do when you get close to a glacier? It was pretty cold as the air rolled down the ice right into the low spot there. I couldn't figure out what to do so I just touched it. Now I can tell people I touched a glacier.


As I was leaving the glacier there was a thick fog rolling down the hill I was about to ascend. I guess I passed through Thompson Pass but the fog was so think I could barely see the 100 feet ahead of myself. It wasn't raining, but it was wet enough for the water to condense on my face shield. Because I couldn't get going fast enough for the wind to blow it off I cracked the shield open about half way and tried to peek out below it as I went. Eventually, without being run over by a semi truck, I pulled out of the fog and found myself in Keystone Canyon.



That is Bridal Falls in the back ground. Again the picture doesn't represent how gorgeous it was in person. I should have unpacked the tripod but I was getting tired and it was getting dark. I needed t head into town to find a camping spot.


One more shot to show how tall the canyon is. Being down at the bottom of those huge walls gave me a sence of how small I was in comparison.

No comments: