Friday, March 7, 2008

Past Thompson Pass headed North towards McCarthy I found a old section of the Highway. It was getting kind of overgrown and there were more piles of moose poop than I had expected to see. But after I thought about it, if I were a moose I'd walk down this old road too. I mean there are no trees or rocks to get in the way, it'd be pretty easy going.

Anyway, I followed it for a while until I hit a spot where a river had washed it out. Dead end or not it was a pretty neat detour.


The road isn't in too bad a shape if you ask me.



This is the beginning of the McCarthy Road. There is a short section of paved road after the cut and from there on out its 60+ miles of gravel road laid over an old railroad bed.


This bridge is the end of the pavement, and is also serves as an important marker. From what I understand North of this bridge is where Native Alaskans can use fish wheels to catch salmon running up stream. If you've never heard of a fish wheel you should do a search and check it out. They are very spectacular, and if my opinion one of the coolest contraptions ever.

Tomorrow I'll post up more pictures of the highway and we'll get to McCarthy and the Kennicott mine.

No comments: