Thursday, March 27, 2008

Yukon River Ferry

For some great reason the only way to cross the Yukon River to get to Dawson City is by ferry. Its a pretty neat and it reminded me a lot of the Drummond Island car ferry.

This ferry is kind of like a landing craft. It just grounds it self on the bank, lowers the ramp, and you ride on. Same thing on the other side but you ride off. The ferry isn't that big. I think you could fit 3 or four RV's on it. Maybe six cars max. There is also a bulldozer on one side, and a loader on the other, I assume, to shape the bank so the ferry can land after the bank changes.


This was the night I rolled into Dawson City, probably around 10:30pm. The sun was low, as you can see by the shadow of the hill behind me casting onto the hill in front of me. You'll notice the person on the bench with their hood up. I wouldn't say it was cold, but it was refreshingly brisk. I ended up riding across the river with the fuel truck I had passed a lot earlier in the day. He took up about all of the ferry, but there is always room for a motorcycle or two in front or behind the pilot house.

No comments: