Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Pictures Along the McCarthy Road

There were lots of pot holes, but it wasn't too bad if you took your time. I had run into a guy at the Brown Jug in Anchorage who told me about a soft patch of gravel at mile post 10. I almost forgot about the warning until my front tire got all squishy feeling. A rhyme ran quickly through my head "When it doubt, wind it out!". So even though I didn't really want to I forced myself to twist the throttle and I powered on through.


Much of the road passes through low swampy areas. There were strange wooden disks sticking up out just at the surface of the road. I'm assuming they are pilings driven down to support a old railroad structure that might have been there before.



If it wasn't moose season it was getting close to it. For some reason I have the feeling thats what this plane was doing here. No matter the reason, can you imagine landing on such a narrow strip next to the road like that? I can, and I bet it would be a lot of fun. Mostly after you were on the ground.

On a side note: In Alaska airplanes have the right-of-way on all Highways, and all roads if I remember correctly. Don't forget to look up before pulling out into that intersection.


The weather was changing the whole way. Sometimes there would be sun, other times rain. There was a lot of contrast between the sunny spots and the areas covered with ominous dark clouds.

Here is another abandoned trestle. And what may have been the nicest graded curve of the whole 65 miles. I felt as if the curve was begging me to power slide around it. To bad I'm not that good, otherwise I would have.


Getting close to McCarthy. You can kinda see part of the glacier near the tops of the tress. And if you look close you can see a rainbow just under the low hanging clouds.

No comments: