Monday, May 5, 2008

Weekend in Fairbanks

This weekend I Drove to Fairbanks (I know, I should have ridden the KLR but I had tire issues to work out) On Saturday morning Aimee and I ran in the Chena River 5k, which was a lot of fun and not as bad as people may think. Then in the afternoon we picked up Chuck and did the things that are fun to do in Fairbanks.

We went to visit the famous Pipeline


That is Aimee standing next to a retired Pig. This pig was sent through the pipeline to scrape off wax buildup that deposits on inside of the pipe as the oil flows through.

We also went to Pioneer Park, which used to be called Alaska Land, and everyone still calls it that. While we were there we walked around a confusingly constructed building and saw a very impressive paddle wheel river boat.

Today I drove back to Anchorage, wishing I had more time to stop and smell the Rosses, I mean pine trees


This is along the Parks Hwy, if I had to guess around mile 200ish.

I had a really good time this weekend and even though I didn't get to ride I think it was a good start to this years travel season.

3 comments:

Shawn said...

I don't know many girls willing to have their picture taken under a "Retired Pig" sign.

Brian D. said...

Whoops!
:-\

Shawn said...

It is a cute picture - I love her laughing smile! Thanks Brian - she is usually the photographer and we don't get many pics of her.